December 11, 2010

Making Traditions...


When we think of the word 'tradition' most of us revert back to our childhood, some long-ago ritual or routine that held a special meaning for us.  For some, they may think about times like Christmas and the festivities that their families participated in every year that made the holiday special for them.  Like picking out a real tree together and cutting it down.  For others dragging it out of the garage and setting it up (like me)...and maybe even a Christmas Eve tradition of which movies are watched...which stories are read.  Others might think about how they had taken their childhood traditions and somehow made them new for their own families.

My husband and I don't have very many 'traditions' only two that I can think of.  Every year on or around January 28th we head back to the restaurant that held our wedding reception 'El Stavros' to enjoy an anniversary meal together.  We do have one Christmas tradition and that is every year around this time we pick one evening and he will take me to one of my favorite restaurants 'Swiss Chalet' to enjoy their traditional festive special and then we grab coffee and hot chocolate and head to Scugog Rd. to see all the Christmas lights.  This is something that has become a necessary part of our Christmas routine.

Today, I am thinking about the idea of creating or making new traditions and this is something I have recently already begun to do!

Every Friday after work I come home and get ready to head down to my best friend Jessica's house.  Her husband is a truck driver that drives team with his best friend and they are on the road all week long.  So in celebration of their return every Friday her and I (mostly her)...throw together a big meal with all the trimmings.  We talk about our weeks, we laugh, we joke...this brings us together and it's something that I personally look forward to every week!

Another new tradition this year will be incorporating my step-daughter Maddy into our dinner out and drive to see Christmas lights, as I think she is now old enough to stay awake in the car long enough to enjoy them!

I am a huge fan of 'tradition'...maybe because I tend to disagree with change...or maybe it's because I am a very 'traditional' type of person.  Either way, a change of ritual or routine that makes more time for friends & family and makes our moments with them more special, is a tradition I'm willing to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment