October 11, 2010

Thankful For Family...

As this Thanksgiving weekend nears it's end, I would like to take a moment and share with all of you that of which I am most thankful for in my life...

I have submitted many posts to this blog; most regarding current events, songs, movies and personal reflections.  Today I am going to write about a few people who are near and dear to my heart...my family.

I will start by first introducing you to my parents, Bob & Faye Richards.  They have been the strong pillar in my life and in the lives of my sisters.  Not only did they just raise us, they loved on us, they taught us, encouraged us, picked us up, dusted us off and helped us back up on our feet when life knocked us down. Tanya, Kelli and I could not have asked or prayed for better parents and I'm honored to call them Mom and Dad!


I am the 'middle' child, growing up in the middle has it's downfalls of course, but we all know about those.  Today I will tell you what advantages it held for me.  I was raised after Tanya..so as that goes my parents learned from the first and parented 'better' with more experience gained. LOL :-)  I was not the oldest so I bared less responsibility for any 'wrong doing', I was not the smallest so I had more experience and knowledge behind me.  I was the first one to get my 'Cool' big sister's hand me downs, her used bicycle..everything that she no longer needed or wanted was mine for the taking!...I even got her waterbed, television and her room in the basement after she moved out!...I was on cloud 9!!! 

I always aspired to be just like my big sister, from the way she did her hair, her makeup, the clothes she wore, the shoes she bought, I even got the same ear piercing on the top of my ear just like her!  Tanya is only 4 years older than me but when I was little it seemed like a bigger gap...I just couldn't wait to be older like she was!...Tanya you are and have always been my 'Super Cool' Big Sista' and age nor distance will ever change that!


Another advantage to being in the 'middle', not only do I have an older sister...I also get to be a 'big sister'.  Kelli and I only had a two year age gap so we experienced pretty much the same in everything....same bed time, similar homework, parallel problems and struggles going through school and with friends.  We had the ability to share all of that together, which created a bond between us that will always be strong!  Kelli, you and I grew up together, we played together, we laughed together and cried together...you will always and forever be my kindred spirit!


Next, I would like to introduce you to my nephew and niece, Wyatt & Jaden.  I remember my Dad picking me up from Junior High with the news that I was an Auntie of a 7 lb. 11oz. baby boy...Wyatt.  I met him for the first time that very next day and was overtaken with love for the little dude..I just couldn't wait to hold him, to kiss him...he was and is so precious!  Once my sister was home and back to herself , I was more than eager to let my sister go out so I could watch him and spend time with him.  I remember my first time changing his diaper he peed on me!...He's always had a great sense of humor!!..LOL....Wyatt you came into this world and have been such a blessing not only to your Mom, but to the whole family as-well...I just know that you will not leave this world without changing something for the better!
Jaden, you are a precious angel.  I remember being on the phone with your mom as she was walking the halls in the hospital waiting for your arrival...she just couldn't wait to meet you!  You have always had such a similar attitude and personality of your Mom when she was growing up..it makes me smile when I look at you and see her 22 years ago!  Yet, you also have a very quiet and shy side...I think you got that from your Dad! :-)
Jaden, you are such a little darling, a princess...never forget that!...Make sure you hold high expectations when it comes to boys..you are a Precious Gem...Make sure you are treated as such!!!...And NEVER 'settle' for less!!!!


I am going to end this here, even though I've only mentioned my 'immediate' family I would like everyone to know that I hold just as much love in my heart for the rest of my family: My husband Kevin...not a day goes by that I don't thank God I have you by my side!, My brother-in-law Tait...you are my brother, my friend and my life would not be the same without you!, My brother-in-law Dallas...you can make me smile and laugh like no one else can!..I am honored to call you brother!...Greg..my sister is more than blessed to have you in her life, your appreciation for her and your love for Wyatt and Jaden is very apparent, you are part of the family, I think of you like a brother!  Grandma...without you this post would not be possible...thank you for being you, for choosing to have children, for raising my Dad to be the man he is today, for being one of the strongest pillars in the family..even though you may never read this, I want you to know that most of all my fondest childhood memories have you in them!...Thank you! Last, but certainly not least, Uncle Doug...you have been there for me and my family since day 1...always willing and able to help, to support, to encourage, to teach and to love...I want you to know that not an ounce of that went unforgotten or unappreciated!..We have all been so blessed to have you as a part of our family!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words Becky and it most certainly has been a joy and privilege to have all three of you girls and your husbands and also the precious grand children Wyatt and Jaden as a part of our lives! That for sure that is what life is all about FAMILY and nothing come near to comparing to the joy and sense of belonging that only family can bring. I include as well both Grandmas and all your aunts, uncles and cousins too . We'll be seeing them all pretty soon with Adams wedding coming up ahead I'm sure it will all be a fun good time! Love Ya : ) Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Becky also for your kind words. I am a middle sister, as well, so can relate to what you're saying. We are so blessed to have you Kelli and Tanya, our wonderful son-in-laws and three beautiful grandchildren, Wyatt, Jaden and Maddy in our lives. And as dad says the grammas and relatives as well. And yes your Uncle Doug sure has been a blessing in all of our lives. That sure was a wonderful, joyful Thanksgiving we had. I love it when you all come over. Thanks for making it even more special with this lovely memorable post and family pictures. Love you Becky :) xo

    ReplyDelete