November 21, 2010

A Wife of Noble Character...



"Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies.
Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:10-12

As it draws near to the Christmas holidays I have been contemplating all of the reasons that this particular season means so much to me, and in reflection of that, I have found that it has less to do with the festivities and more to do with the 'spirit' of the day or the 'reason for the season'!

Christmas is an opportunity to give, to love upon those we cherish the most.  To me, it's not about finding the biggest most expensive gift, it's about giving from the heart and finding the perfect gift for each person.

Today, I am not focusing on gifts of the 'monetary' variety necessarily.  Instead, I am concentrating on those things that we can all afford to do this season.  We can all slow down our pace this year and remember what Christmas is really all about.  We can become the 'warm' in the midst of the cold by sharing with others, by opening our hearts and giving what we can to those less fortunate, even just a smile to a random 'passer-by', giving our shopping cart to the person behind waiting in the cold to get one, or even paying for the coffee of the car behind you in the drive thru, just small random acts of kindness to brighten ones day is what makes this holiday so magical!

'Paying it forward' is a motto that everyone should embrace all year round; but especially at this time of the year!

Throughout my reflections of this season I have been made aware that 'charity' begins at home.  If we can't treat those whom we love with utmost compassion and respect how much more will we be able to treat complete strangers?

I have never claimed to be a 'perfect' wife; as I'm most certainly not!...But seeing I am married and with no children I have committed myself this Christmas to becoming a better helpmeet and wife to my deserving husband.  I am choosing to focus on what I can do before the end of the year to become the virtuous wife that God has called me to be and then make it a habit before the new year arrives!

A worthy wife is a crown for her husband, but a disgraceful woman is like cancer in his bones.
Proverbs: 12:4

A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.
Proverbs: 14:1

A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day.
Proverbs: 27:15

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you say about a smile Becky and yes it sure can send a message of hope just the thought that somebody is wanting to be friendly and kind. And I like the thought you express as 'Paying it forward' and as the saying goes what goes around comes around which truly is a real spiritual reality of what takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Becky. You truly are a virtuous woman with a heart of gold. You are such a blessing and giver in so many ways. You do it so naturally that you don't even notice but others definetly see your loving and giving character. You're a Proverbs 31 woman. Love Mom xo

    ReplyDelete