September 20, 2010

Transition...


This past weekend my husband's family and I gathered to say 'good-bye' to Summer and together bring in this new season of Fall.  Most of you may dread this transition, where I welcome it with open arms!


Summer has many highlights unique to itself, in no other season are we able to enjoy outdoor swimming, attend family bbq's or bonfires, work in our gardens, or even drive with all of our windows down, sunroof or convertible open.  I, just as the next person do tend to miss these small privileges that Summer does tend to lend itself to.  However, I will explain to you why I much prefer Fall, 'Summer's vastly underestimated counterpart'.


The Fall season reminds me of a snake shedding it's old skin...just as the green leaves turn red, orange & gold and the weather turns from hot & sunny to cool & crisp...these are only a few of the transitions we experience.  Vacations are over, children are back to school, parents are back to their regular routines.  It's in this season that we trade our t-shirts & sandals for our fleece jammies, slippers & hoodys.  
We focus on paying off any outstanding summer debt to prepare for this season's lingering whisper and promise...'Christmas'.

But, before I get ahead of myself, we also plan and look forward to the big family feast of Fall... 'Thanksgiving'...which family member will host it this year?, who to invite?, which dishes to prepare?, which decorations we will use?...This all adds to the wonder and excitement of this season.

The transition from Summer to Fall also brings about daylight savings...at least we get an extra hour of sleep! :-)

Some of my favourite things about Fall are the colourful leaves, cool weather & fresh air, Thanksgiving get-togethers & of course the meal!  

 

Like any other transition, Summer fading to Fall does bring about change.  But change isn't always a bad thing.  For example, I anticipate the change of television programming, I willingly trade the incessant growing grass & dandelions to the dormant grass & the beautiful array of scattered leaves.  I look forward to the cool evenings that my husband and I cuddle together under a blanket watching movies and sipping on our hot beverages of choice!  Trips to the pumpkin farm..the hay rides, horse rides, hot apple cider and pumpkin carving.




One of the more unique attributes to this season and the one that I value the most is the expectation to think about and reflect upon what we have in our lives to be thankful about...whether or not it's shared around the dinner table this season I challenge you, if you are reading this today  take a few moments to contemplate what in your life you are most thankful for?...I will do the same...but that's another post for another day!

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts on the fall time Becky! : ) It is a lovely, wonderful time of year for sure with all the leaves changing colours and the temperatures are just right....and looking forward to us all having a good Thanksgiving day just up ahead. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Becky... this is a great time of year. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and I would ask my mom if it was getting close to my Birthday and she would tell me when you see all the leaves changing colour, it's getting close. And, of course, my cake would always have beautiful fall colours on it. Looking forward to our Thanksgiving time together. :)

    ReplyDelete